Baton Rouge - Today, Gov. John Bel Edwards announced that local governments impacted by the severe storms and floods that occurred March 8 through April 8 in Louisiana may now be eligible for federal loans if they have revenue shortfalls. FEMA’s Community Disaster Loan Program (CDLP) may provide loans of up to $5 million to eligible applicants that lost more than 5 percent of their revenue from taxes and other sources due to the March flooding.

“The success of Louisiana depends on the success of local municipalities across our state,” said Gov. Edwards. “We are fortunate to have local leaders on the ground who demonstrated strong governance in the face of the March flooding. Their partnership and tireless dedication to rebuilding flood-affected communities has been critical during this ongoing recovery process. The Community Disaster Loan Program that now applies to both the March and August flooding can go a long way toward helping our schools, first responders and local governments continue the rebuilding effort.”

CDLP may provide lost revenue assistance to the following local government entities in Louisiana so they can continue offering essential services:

  • City and parish governments
  • School districts
  • Fire and law enforcement districts
  • Sewer and water districts

The parishes impacted by the August flooding were previously approved for FEMA’s CDLP. Now, local government entities in the following parishes impacted by the March flooding are also eligible to apply: Allen, Ascension, Avoyelles, Beauregard, Bienville, Bossier, Caddo, Calcasieu, Caldwell, Catahoula, Claiborne, De Soto, East Carroll, Franklin, Grant, Jackson, La Salle, Lafourche, Lincoln, Livingston, Madison, Morehouse, Natchitoches, Ouachita, Rapides, Red River, Richland, Sabine, St. Helena, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa, Union, Vernon, Washington, Webster, West Carroll and Winn.

Loan terms are five years. However, they may be extended to 10 years. They cannot be used for the non-federal cost share of disaster grants, capital projects like new construction, or to repair or restore damaged public facilities.

FEMA provides technical assistance to expedite the application and approval process.

Apply for CDLP through the Governor’s Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness (GOHSEP). Contact Allison Hadley of GOHSEP for more information. She may be reached at 225-339-3798 or